Monday, August 25, 2014

Walking In My Shoes. . .at the Chamber

I often get asked "What is happening at the Chamber?" or "What does the Chamber do?"  Because my days are never repetitive, it is sometimes hard for me to give a short answer.  I often think if only someone could walk in my shoes for a day. . .

Although I can't "share my shoes" with you, I can give you some insight into my weekly activities at the chamber, or the inside scoop on what I am working on from week to week.  I plan to post weekly updates in hope that you can be more informed about what I do at the chamber, as well as share opportunities for you to get involved.

Hope you enjoy a look into my world. . .

Week of August 25, 2014


Creating Interest in Manufacturing

You may or may not know this, but the manufacturing industry in Licking County is thriving.  We have many companies who are expanding and looking for skilled workers.  That is the good news.  The bad news is that with a large pool of workers retiring, we are having a problem finding skilled workers to fill all of these positions.

The chamber, in partnership with many others, is working on a manufacturing campaign.  The first phase will be implemented at the high school level.  We are currently working on a video that will be shown to juniors and seniors at two high schools to help encourage them to enter the manufacturing field.  Last week we filmed at Screen Machine Industries.  This week we will be filming at Owens Corning and The Bionetics Corporation.  Thanks to Stand Alone Media House for producing this video.  I will be sharing this video on our website once it is completed, which should be in early October.


Endorsement Requests

November 4 will be here before we know it.  In addition to candidates running for office, there are many community issues which will appear on the ballot.  The Chamber has received three endorsement requests for the general election.  This week our Government Affairs Committee will be conducting endorsement interviews with the Licking County Library, Children's Services Levy Committee and the Senior Citizens Levy.  They will be making their recommendations to the Chamber's Board of Directors, who make all endorsement decisions.  Look for an announcement regarding these endorsements in the September/October newsletter.



Welcome Aboard

The Chamber's fiscal year comes to a close at the end of this month.  A special thank-you to those Board Members who have served two, two-year terms and are leaving the Board this month:  Lindsay Englefield with First Federal Savings; Connie Hawk with the Licking County Foundation and Jack Stickle with Henderson, VanAtta, Stickle Funeral and Cremation Services.  In addition to those three, my Chairman, Mike Massaro with Tectum, Inc. will finish his reign as well.  Mike has been a great leader for the chamber this year.  These vacancies will be filled by three new individuals coming aboard beginning September 1.  They are:  Andrew Guanciale with Coldwell Banker King Thompson; Pat Jeffries, consultant; and Ryan West with First Federal Savings.  This week I will be conducting Chamber Board Orientation for the three newcomers.  In addition, I will be welcoming Caroline Fraker with MedBen as my new Chairman.  I am looking forward to working with these outstanding community leaders.


If you have any questions or comments about the information I have shared, please feel free to contact me via this blog, email at chottinger@lickingcountychamber.com or call me at 740.345.9757 x5.  I would love to hear from you.

Have a great week!



No comments: